It’s January. Out with the old and in with the new! With Winter Crazy Days happening on January 19-21, many stores at the Bridges are “cleaning closets” to offer you deep discounts (up to 75%!) on winter items in order to make room for new spring merchandise. It’s a great time to get some serious steals and it’s also a great time clean out your own closets. Trust us. It feels really good to be organized. Besides, what else are you going to do on a cold winter day?
To help you with your closet cleaning quest, we put together a little list of tips and tricks for cleaning your closet and keeping it that way. Whether you donate or sell your clothing, getting rid of things that don’t fit, don’t look good or just don't feel good allows you to make space for the things that do.
1. First off, take EVERYTHING out of your closet. Yes. Everything.
2. Look at each piece and ask yourself these questions: Does it fit? Have I worn it in the last year? Would I ever wear it again? Does it look good on me? Is it damaged? If you answer NO to any of these question, it goes in the out piles (one for donation/giving away, one for selling and one for trash).
3. Before you put things back in our closet, consider new storage solutions inside that closet. Extra shelving, shoe racks, storage dividers, garment dividers, belt, scarf and hat holders and more are a great way to make your closet an amazingly organized place. Browse Pinterest for some cheap DIY ideas or visit any store that offers storage solutions.
4. As you begin hanging the keepers back in your closet, consider organizing them by season, function, color or whatever works best for you. Don’t overcrowd your clothing! How many great shirts have you forgotten because they were jammed between other pieces?
5. When it comes to folded pieces, such as bulky sweaters and tee shirts, fold them nicely and neatly into an organized system that works for you. Function, color, style, whatever. Just as long as it makes sense to you.
6. If you are putting things back into drawers, consider drawer dividers instead of just piling things into the drawer. We all know that it’s easy to just take the top shirt over and over again and forget about all those poor orphans at the bottom of the drawer. Dividers really help!
7. Accessories, hand bags and shoes should be displayed by color and season so you can easily match them to your outfits.
8. Make sure your closet is well-lit. Bright light bulbs can make a huge difference in a small space.
9. Once you have committed to a donate/sell/toss pile, your next step is to not let those piles sit around. Bag them or box them up and get them where they need to go.
10. Finally, when in doubt about an item, put it into your closet with the hanger facing the opposite direction. If that hanger is still facing away from you when you clean your closet again, you’re no longer in doubt. Toss it out.
While cleaning closets is never fun, it does feel really rewarding once it’s all done. And with all that extra space, you have plenty of room for the amazing deals you’ll want to bring home from The Bridges Winter Crazy Days! Check out our Facebook page for a chance to win a $100 Shopping Spree to get you started.